Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Richard Zednik has nothing on Clint Malarchuk

Talk about grotesque injuries.
Clippers guard Shawn Livingston's knee? Nasty.



Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett's spine? Whoa.



Richard Zednik's neck? Yikes.



But Buffalo Sabres goalie Clint Malarchuk's jugular? Wow.



I was coming up on two years old when this happened, so I don't remember it being plastered across the news. But seeing it now must be as chilling to me as it was to the fans watching the St. Louis Blues play the Sabres at The Aud on March 22, 1989.
Look, nobody likes to see serious injuries happen. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm sure anyone reading this can come up with a dozen more examples of bad injuries that will make the hair on your neck stand up and just give you goosebumps.
But Malarchuk's? Come on! A jugular vein spells bad news for people who know anything about his or her own anatomy or Call of Duty 4. Malarchuk was quoted as saying he wanted to get off the ice so his mother, who was watching on television, wouldn't see him bleed to death on the rink.
I'm glad Richard Zednik is out of the Intensive Care Unit. But nothingshakes me up like watching the Malarchuk video.

No comments: